tirsdag 12. juni 2012

THE SECRETS OF THE WIND


My grandfather meant the world to me. Shortly before he died, he gave me a book and said to me: "Promise me you'll read this. It changed me and my outlook at life." He knew he was dying, and it was of great importance to him that I would read this particular book. It was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. My grandfather was a wise and kind man. He had been in the war, raised many kids, and he stayed with the one he loved, my grandmother, for over seventy years. In a way, he raised me as well. I was thirteen when he died, and I grieved for a long time. Then I remembered what he had told me about The Alchemist, so I started reading it.  


The book changed me as well. It's been six years since I first read it, and for six years a special quote from the book has proven very difficult to forget:


"The boy felt jealous of the freedom of the wind, and saw that he could have the same freedom. There was nothing to hold him back except himself." 


Hence the name of this blog. The wind is free to go where ever it likes. Nothing can hold it back. If something is in its way, it simply takes another route to pass it. I believe that we can learn a great deal of the wind and its behavior. The wind is wise and carries secrets we should pursuit. We shouldn't let anything hold us back either. We are free and we can do what ever we like, reach what ever goals we have and get the life we wish for. Nothing can hold us back except for ourselves. We are our greatest enemy. If we do not succeed in reaching our goals, we can't blame anyone but ourselves. 


Another quote that comes to my wind while writing this is "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" by William Ernest Henley. Sure other people do affect us and our choices, but ultimately, you are the captain. You set the sails and you choose which route to take. 


I am as free as the wind and I am the master of my fate, and I choose not to let others bring me down. I choose not to hold myself back. This way I will reach my goals.

-E

16 kommentarer:

  1. Keep on writing! Even if not many people read what you write, it is so liberating to use your creativity and express yourself!

    SvarSlett
  2. I love the alchemist. What you wrote reminded me a lot of my grandfather, who passed away a year ago today. Love this.

    SvarSlett
  3. Also I'd like to follow your blog, but I cannot find a place where I can do as such, could you help me out with that?:)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much! Do you have bloglovin? It's a site where you can collect all the blogs you read in one place. From your account there you can read all the new post in one session. I searched for my blog there, here's the link: http://www.bloglovin.com/en/search/windsecrets.blogspot.com

      If you prefer it another way, please let me know! I'm not quite familiar with the blog community yet. Thanks for wanting to follow me! :)

      Slett
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. So excited to find you as you just begin your writing journey. Oh to be 19 again!!! I'm 30 now and can't believe where the time has gone--when I was 19 I was preparing to spend a year abroad in London--so I'd love to follow your story. Are you on twitter??? I'm www.twitter.com/staycationmama

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by mine :) I'm not on twitter, unfortunately. I can't seem to find anything to write about there with such few words. Haha.

      Time goes by fast. I remember wanting to grow up as fast as possible, but now I want to go back to those days when I was little. I've realized that I have to appreciate my age at any time and just live to the fullest. I don't want to regret not doing the most of it when I'm older!

      Slett
  5. Great blog! See here http://www.refinery29.com/coachella-nail-art-designs the tutorial for my printed nails!

    xx
    biskvittka.blogspot.com

    SvarSlett
  6. Wow, that is a gorgeous quote. So inspiring! It's true for any aspect of life. Thank you for sharing!

    SvarSlett
  7. What an inspiring post! I now really have to read that book. :)

    http://sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you :) I really hope you'll read it!

      Slett
  8. Brilliant post :) This has really brightend up my day ^ - ^ x

    SvarSlett
  9. Beautiful words! I read The Alchemist a while back. Now whenever I travel I usually make it a point to pick up a Paulo Coelho book. I don't know why, but his writing really resonates with me.

    SvarSlett